Sunday 18 October 2015

The Haunting Of Hill House by Shirley Jackson















A young girl and two others are invited to spend a few nights in a haunted house and soon things start to go bump in the night.









It's easy to understand how this book influenced the likes of Stephen King and Neil Gaiman.



In fact it doesn't take long before you stumble across something that King obviously borrowed and slotted directly into his first published novel Carrie. I listened to this as an Audio Book and it is creepy and scary and I'd recommend that you go the whole hog, turn off the lights and listen to it in all it's creepy glory, just like I did.


The writing is delicious but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had actually read a physical copy. I think you lose something when listening to an audio book. It's less personal and you can't beat hearing each character in your head instead of listening to somebody speaking the words for you.




You can't quite beat curling up to a book.







I enjoyed this and it reminded me a little bit of The Turning of The Screw. But I really want to get hold of a paper copy.




4/5












No comments:

Post a Comment