Monday 6 February 2017

The Children's Brer Rabbit by E H Pritchyard








I stumbled upon the book in a big pile of books that I recently inherited from a family friend. First published in 1933, this so old I couldn't even find a trace of it in a google search.



I've always heard of Brer Rabbit and I think I read the Enid Blyton version as a kid but it's too long ago to remember. It's a fun read and I'm sure even children these days would enjoy it. It's a collection of stories that originates from African/American Indian/African American folk tales. So nobody knows the original author. This book was a retelling by F H Pritchyard based on the books of Joel Chandler Harris. With great illustrations by Honor C Appleton.


A few things in the book would never see the light of day if it was published today including the main character smoking a cigar and a bizarre use of a word which is not acceptable today but was very commonplace back then.




This book is obviously not aimed at me but it was fun and I enjoyed reading about the history of the stories and characters when I wasn't reading it.






8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment